Automatically fixing addons for new Thunderbird versions

Christopher Leidigh cleidigh at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 21:27:43 UTC 2019

Philipp

I would be interested to know more about the notification system.  This
sounds useful.  I'm not sure if I am in a position to help on that, but
I'm willing to learn more to see if I am able to.

Matt/All Re: fixing add-ons automatically

I think we would all agree for the totally automatic conversion case, we
could take forever on that.  I don't think that's what you are
advocating anyway.

I have been thinking about several possible tools along these lines.  I
have started investigating a couple.  My perspective was what could help
in the following areas:

1) Awareness/helping to know API/UI changes

     Just using ESLint with custom rules I made helps - this would be
very easy to set up and make it easy for developers to find changes needed

     but I have to find the best equivalent for the XUL/HTML/XML files.

2) Help For solutions and changes - to develop us access to solutions
and examples of other people's work

     I have started to set up a knowledge base of extensions - basically
post all the source for many extensions and make it searchable

3) Basic "busywork" helper scripts - just having a few conversion tools
even for partial stuff would help

     - install => manifest

     - creation of localization directories and messages.json

     - preferences converter for preferencesBindings

If the community feels these would be good help, I think I can crank out
a few in between upgrading extensions!

All joking aside, I would be very interested in the feedback if this
would be good otherwise I'll make sure to concentrate on other things.

Christopher