Thunderbird Calendar aka the Lightning add-on - Quo vadis?

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Thu Oct 24 19:56:18 UTC 2019

On 8/2/2019, 4:39:17 PM, John Bieling <john.bieling at gmx.de> wrote:
> As Magnus knows, Ryan asked me about a year ago to add TbSync to
> Thunderbird core as a new central place to manage cloud accounts and I
> have been working on that ever since. I have now a clean code base and
> the provider API added by TbSync looks very good now as well. That
> provider API allows other AddOns to hook into TbSync and add sync
> capabilities. Currently there are Exchange Active Sync and
> CalDav/CardDAV.
I don't know if it is even feasible, but if you don't ask... :)

I much prefer hosting my own Sync server, as I value privacy, and like
to maintain control of my own stuff.

Once upon a time, there was a Bookmarks Sync Addon called ... XMarks, I
think it was. Yes, XMarks. I loved that Addon.

It had an option for syncing to your own WebDAV or even an FTP server. I
used the FTP option, and it was a perfect multi-way sync (I had 3
computers syncing). I never had a problem with file corruption, but I
also most likely never 2-way sync'd from 2 or more devices at the same
time. I'm pretty sure the files stored on the FTP server were JSON files.

Anyway, I would love love love to see an option to do this with TBSync.