Intent to de-support: traditional add-ons

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Thu Oct 17 07:38:15 UTC 2019

On 16-10-2019 16:34, Eyal Rozenberg wrote:
>> For add-on authors going forwards, there is of course also an option
>> C (depending on what the add-on does): work with us to integrate the
>> functionality into core. If the add-on is under the bug-fix category
>> this is certainly the way to go as no API for a bug-fix would be in
>> sight. In general we're happy to include functionality provided it's
>> of general usefulness.
>
> With respect - if this were to happen, it would essentially mean
> giving up on Thunderbird's extensibility, either immediately or within
> a short period of time. With no force pulling in favor of access to
> Thunderbird's innards from overlaid JS code - I'm willing to bet that
> would disappear pretty quickly. It's sort of a "divide and conquer"
> strategy.

Sorry if that wasn't clear, but of course part of this is loosing
extensibility. You can't really have full extensibility in the
traditional way, except for as experiments.

Why would Thunderbird create an API for a useful thing *only* for
add-ons? If it's of general usefulness, it would be exposed in the core
application. This doesn't mean core should have everything: there's
still room for add-ons to cater for specialized use cases.

  -Magnus