Intent to de-support: traditional add-ons

Eyal Rozenberg eyalroz at technion.ac.il
Wed Oct 16 13:34:54 UTC 2019

On 15/10/2019 13:19, Magnus Melin wrote:
> For add-on authors going forwards, there is of course also an option C
> (depending on what the add-on does): work with us to integrate the
> functionality into core. If the add-on is under the bug-fix category
> this is certainly the way to go as no API for a bug-fix would be in
> sight. In general we're happy to include functionality provided it's of
> general usefulness.

With respect - if this were to happen, it would essentially mean giving
up on Thunderbird's extensibility, either immediately or within a short
period of time. With no force pulling in favor of access to
Thunderbird's innards from overlaid JS code - I'm willing to bet that
would disappear pretty quickly. It's sort of a "divide and conquer"
strategy.

On 16/10/2019 15:03, Axel Grude wrote:
 > I am not sure if that's the correct way forward for me - would it
possible to imagine a specialized / subcontractor position for an
Add-ons developer so they can focus on just that specific work /
functionality, rather than being deployed into stuff we may not be
interested in?

This would be an ethically problematic arrangement IMHO. If you put
yourself in that position - what would you tell other extension
developers when we get locked out of relevant functionality?

Eyal