S/Mime usage

Wiktor Kwapisiewicz wiktor at metacode.biz
Wed Oct 16 12:20:14 UTC 2019

Hi Mihovil,

On 16.10.2019 07:45, Mihovil Stanić wrote:

>> Thunderbird wants to enable *distributed*, open, end-to-end encrypted
>> communications. There are not too many common solutions for that.
>>
> Actually, Signal is open. And if it's true, Whatsapp is build based on
> Signal technology, but since no one can verify it...

Signal is open-source but is not distributed. Additionally Moxie is
against other clients connecting to their servers (see [0]). For me
Signal is not really an "open communications" platform but I guess this
is subjective.

[0]:
https://github.com/LibreSignal/LibreSignal/issues/37#issuecomment-217211165

For the record parts of Signal (libsignal) are re-used in other systems
such as XMPP's OMEMO.

Kind regards,
Wiktor

--