Intent to de-support: traditional add-ons

alta88 alta88 at fixall.com
Tue Oct 15 19:04:30 UTC 2019

On 10/15/2019 04:19 AM, Magnus Melin wrote:

> For add-on authors going forwards, there is of course also an option C
> (depending on what the add-on does): work with us to integrate the
> functionality into core. If the add-on is under the bug-fix category
> this is certainly the way to go as no API for a bug-fix would be in
> sight. In general we're happy to include functionality provided it's
> of general usefulness.

Back when there were only unpaid volunteers keeping this afloat, people
would create bugfix extensions.

Now, however, what possible motivation would there be for a volunteer to
fix bugs that paid staff can't fix or won't fix or even caused. Maybe
there will be a one-off or a junior person needing something for a first
CV. Unless the Council intends to implement paid bug bounties this is
wishful thinking. Worse, it's fundamentally unfair.

It takes a very skilled manager to get free work. Good luck.

By the way, I seriously hope people like Matt and others doing user
support are in a budget, if they want.