S/Mime usage

Will will at impamark.co.uk
Mon Oct 14 20:02:59 UTC 2019

On 14/10/19 11:29, Ryan Sipes wrote:

> This comes across as "I don't use that feature, therefore it is a
> waste." - which I think is a flawed way to think about what to work
> on. I've had a couple of enterprises reach out to share they've made
> reasonably sizable, often recurring donations, and share what they
> use. Are their donations not worth anything?

We're more like

"We don't use that feature because there are much better, more secure
products out there that are kicking email into touch, and if the time
spent on messing around with chat had been spent on email and trying to
make PGP easier then maybe we wouldn't be faced with the extinction of
email because chat is just so much easier"

If you really want to do chat just build yourself a working API that
integrates Signal, Whatsapp (yuck) Facebook messenger & all that other
stuff.  Why bother with OTR when you can integrate their stuff which
already has end to end encryption?

Email is stuck in its ways. We hate the word 'disruption' but email is
going the same way as fax. Can't change it. Engineer around it.

Millennials and Generation Z barely look at email beyond using an
account to setup their phones. They are the future.

A few advantages of chat off the top of the head.

Instant comms
Read receipts, and you don't even need Exchange
Any type of attachment (admin permitting) and easy handling
End to end security via SSL, and many have end to end encryption built
in too
Easy voice messaging
Bots.....
Most are accessible via web clients so are platform independent, and
just as easily accessible via mobile with either a browser or app.
Integrated messaging into things like CRMs - just message your clients
direct from your CRM to their whatsapp or FB messenger (yuck)  or
whatever etc AND vice versa
Integrated into web sites - customers can contact you direct off you
site and send attachments etc. Saves a lot of issues with emails.
Federates systems where different systems can talk to one another

Like it or not, that is the direction of travel. YMMV.

Where TB sits in the middle of that we really don't know. But the recent
misery that TB upgrades has caused us has just made us look a whole lot
harder at how we get rid of email entirely.

We expect we can continue with TB at the current version for a couple of
years by which time we think chat will be almost ubiquitous and email
will barely be required.

Onwards and upwards.