Thunderbird 78, Enigmail and OpenPGP secure email

Wiktor Kwapisiewicz wiktor at metacode.biz
Mon Oct 14 12:41:17 UTC 2019

Hi Kai,

I noticed the following change on the Wiki:

> Will OpenPGP cards be supported for private key storage ?

> Probably not, because we don't use the GnuPG software that's usually required to access OpenPGP smartcards.

I think it's worth mentioning that there is a way to access smartcards
through GnuPG's JSON interface (native messaging). That's what
Mailvelope uses and it's just a browser extension.

Some details are available here:
https://github.com/mailvelope/mailvelope/wiki/Mailvelope-GnuPG-integration

Of course I wouldn't consider this a top priority (Mailvelope added
support for that just recently) but certainly interesting for some
people that prefer not to store their private keys in software.

Kind regards,
Wiktor

--
https://metacode.biz/@wiktor