Proposal: MailExtensions API to allow UI overlays, but no script injection

Eyal Rozenberg eyalroz at technion.ac.il
Sun Oct 13 22:29:27 UTC 2019

On 13/10/2019 22:48, Philipp Kewisch wrote:
> If your strategy is that Thunderbird would accept that add-ons could
> break in any release and it would be up to the developer to stay up to
> date, I feel this would be a fair amount of work for developers to keep
> up with all the UI changes, as we have it now.

This was always the case until now - except that recently the changes
are very frequent and more profound. Do you expect continuing profound
changes?

If so, consider slowing down the release rate to allow us to keep up.
And if the changes kind of settle down, then it will be tolerable again,
like it was until v52.

> You see in other threads here requests for documenting exactly what
> changed. If we change an id, some developers will expect us to tell
> them, bec. So it would be work for the Thunderbird team to communicate
> and document this.

Haven't seen requests for special documentation for every id change...
more like, when it seems every other thing has changed, we might be
grasping in all directions for something to hold on to.