S/Mime usage

Ryan Sipes ryan at thunderbird.net
Mon Oct 14 09:29:10 UTC 2019

Hey Tanstaafl,

The percentage of time and resources spent on chat probably matches up
with the userbase that we have for chat. We have many large enterprises
and a few governments using XMPP right now with Thunderbird.

If they represent 1% of our userbase, that probably tracks with the time
spent on this feature - if even, I'd say the time spent is actually a
fraction of a fraction of a percent of donations. And those enterprises
and governments, as far as I can tell, are a good source of donations.

Also, the entire Thunderbird team uses chat in order to stay in touch
and collaborate. Improving chat means helping the core team communicate
more effectively, and if we can secure our chat with each other that's
even better.

This comes across as "I don't use that feature, therefore it is a
waste." - which I think is a flawed way to think about what to work on.
I've had a couple of enterprises reach out to share they've made
reasonably sizable, often recurring donations, and share what they use.
Are their donations not worth anything?

Ryan Sipes
Community and Business Development Manager
Thunderbird <https://thunderbird.net>