S/Mime usage

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Sat Oct 12 19:11:25 UTC 2019

On 11-10-2019 15:17, Will wrote:
> However, there is a suggestion you are adding OTR to Thunderbird which
> suggests you are trying to make it more a chat client and we just can't
> see the logic behind that,

Thunderbird already has chat, and many other features not directly
"mail" too. Adding OTR support is just picking a fairly low hanging
fruit that Thunderbird can use to differentiate itself to others with.

We've also learnt that for organizational usage, the chat component is
important.

> TB are probably concerned that ultimately (in the long term) chat is
> going to make email, and therefore TB, redundant.

I don't see any concern there. Mail and chat are used for totally
different things.

  -Magnus