S/Mime usage

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Fri Oct 11 19:17:25 UTC 2019

On 10/10/2019, 6:32:13 PM, Magnus Melin <mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi> wrote:
> On 10-10-2019 13:04, Will wrote:
>> we'd like to know why TB is
>> spending presumably a lot of resources on chat client encryption?
>
> Thunderbird is committed to ensuring free and private communications.
> Not only for chat but email too, which the OpenPGP announcement would
> have you know. I think in the larger view of things, ensuring
> distributed end-to-end encryption systems for communication are easily
> obtainable is very important for freedom of speech and other fundamental
> rights.

That sounds all well and good, but TB is, first and foremost, an EMail
client, not a Chat client, and that should take a -very high- priority.

Once the email code is rewritten and all major/known bugs squashed, then
and only then should PAID resources (volunteers are of course always
welcome to work on whatever they want) be focused on chat and other
extraneous features.

If PAID resources are being used for Chat and other non-email type work,
then I question the validity of such decisions.