Proposal: MailExtensions API to allow UI overlays, but no script injection

John Bieling john.bieling at gmx.de
Fri Oct 11 11:19:05 UTC 2019

> Can you describe how this API should look? Overlaying means you want to
> attach your UI code to an ID TB has set. What happens when TB changes
> this ID? Then the overlay will fail like it does now with the old
> overlaying, or not? This would be the contrary what MailExtensions are,
> changes in the TB code don't blend through to the API.
>
> When you can propose an API that still works when something in the UI
> structure changes, then I'm sure it will become support by the TB devs.
>
> Richard

If the underlying UI changes, than the overlays must be updated of
course. But after the entire XUL->HTML transition, I assume the UI will
be stable again, as it has been in the last years, before all these
massive changes we currently see.

If I choose to use that API, it is my duty to take care of that, as before.

I just have the feeling that you underestimate the work needed to write
an API for all the different things we want to do.

John