Proposal: MailExtensions API to allow UI overlays, but no script injection

Geoff Lankow geoff at thunderbird.net
Fri Oct 11 22:55:50 UTC 2019

On 12/10/2019 11:20, Eyal Rozenberg wrote:
> On 12/10/2019 1:08, Geoff Lankow wrote:
>> but having the ability to change any window and do anything to it
>> /can not/ and /should not/ continue.
>
> Why? That is a keystone feature of Thunderbird's - the fact that UI
> from an extension code is basically on equal footing with in-app UI.

I made my case. It simply is not feasible any more. We barely have
enough developer time to do important things that benefit all users, let
alone maintain such a sprawling monster for a small fraction of users.
Saying "just keep it" is easy. Just keeping it is anything but. Trust
me, I've spent a large chunk of the last 15 months trying to "just keep it".

GL