Proposal: MailExtensions API to allow UI overlays, but no script injection

Richard Marti richard.marti at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 10:48:57 UTC 2019

On 10.10.2019 23:13, John Bieling wrote:
> > Bottom line: I don't understand your suggestion.
> >
> I assume that is beacuse you do not do heavy UI changes with your
> add-ons. But I do.
>
> And from my current understanding, it should be possible to create a
> general UI overlay API, as it does not create security issues and almost
> no stability issues. So even under the new rules, that should still be
> allowed and thus should be given back to us.

Can you describe how this API should look? Overlaying means you want to
attach your UI code to an ID TB has set. What happens when TB changes
this ID? Then the overlay will fail like it does now with the old
overlaying, or not? This would be the contrary what MailExtensions are,
changes in the TB code don't blend through to the API.

When you can propose an API that still works when something in the UI
structure changes, then I'm sure it will become support by the TB devs.

Richard