S/Mime usage

Will will at impamark.co.uk
Thu Oct 10 10:04:29 UTC 2019

On 09/10/19 17:13, Kai Engert wrote:
> On 08.10.19 20:28, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>> What if Thunderbird was also an end-to-end secure chat client and it
>> wasn't limited to a single service provider?
> FYI, it already is. We support XMPP/Jabber and some others, and we're
> also close to shipping OTR, but we aren't yet ready to announce it.
> Hopefully in a few weeks we'll do a call for testing.

With the issues we have experienced around a half baked new API and all
the other issues related to add ons, we'd like to know why TB is
spending presumably a lot of resources on chat client encryption?

TB is an email client right?

Why don't you concentrate on getting that bit right first?

There are mountains of unfixed bugs, APIs that are a mess, add ons that
we can't get to work and could do with help, and you are messing around
with chats and OTR?

Exactly what is the direction of travel for TB? Replace email with chat?
You are so late to that party.................

We don't need it - we already have a good chat system, with OTR if we
want it, and a pile of other functionality. Quite simply there are
already much better systems out there.

Chat in TB is just a waste of CPU and coding cycles IMHO. Beyond a
cursory look we have never used it. I'd rather see it dumped completely.

Obviously this has all been discussed behind closed doors? Why isn't the
community consulted about this sort of thing, or is it paying clients only?

<shakeshead>