S/Mime usage

Kai Engert kaie at kuix.de
Wed Oct 9 15:13:40 UTC 2019

Hello Phillip,

interesting ideas, but we might not be able to spend much with new
research ideas at this time. The Thunderbird release timing is rather
fixed, we'll need to ship a polished and production quality Beta release
by May next year. I'm afraid the limited development resources that we
have available in the security feature area might be fully consumed by
the migration from Enigmail to internal OpenPGP support.

On 08.10.19 20:28, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> What if Thunderbird was also an end-to-end secure chat client and it
> wasn't limited to a single service provider?

FYI, it already is. We support XMPP/Jabber and some others, and we're
also close to shipping OTR, but we aren't yet ready to announce it.
Hopefully in a few weeks we'll do a call for testing.

Kai