Dropping legacy support: Moving forward

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Tue Oct 8 21:56:04 UTC 2019

On 08-10-2019 19:38, opto at optosolar.com wrote:
> I just spent 5 hours on the 'simple' task of trying to get columns into richlistbox, the recommended replacement of xul listbox. The corresponding post in topicbox has now 34 answers trying to achieve that. So in addition to my time, there are many extra hours of others trying to help and do that.

But you're comparing oranges and motor oil.

Converting an existing bootstapped add-on to and experiment doesn't
relate to any way to how the internals are changing. You'd have to
change the internals even though traditional add-ons would remain.

This is exactly the point though: Changing internals is a painful
process for add-on authors, and the only way we can really ease that is
by providing an API instead.

  -Magnus