Thunderbird 78, Enigmail and OpenPGP secure email

Kai Engert kaie at kuix.de
Tue Oct 8 13:28:21 UTC 2019

Hello Wiktor,

On 08.10.19 13:44, Wiktor Kwapisiewicz wrote:
>> We intend to identify and use another existing library that provides
>> support for creating and processing OpenPGP messages, and we will try
>> to reuse parts of Enigmail that aren’t specific to GnuPG.
>
> As far as I know there are two: OpenPGP.js, that is re-used by the
> Autocrypt extension [1] and Sequoia [2], that is native and AFAIK
> provides a way to talk to GnuPG agent (for keys stored on smartcards).

Thunderbird is distributed under the MPL 2.0 license.
The Sequoia PGP library code uses the GPL v3 license.

IANAL, but in my understanding it means that Thunderbird cannot bundle
the Sequoia library, and therefore it cannot be used.

Another potential option is the RNP [4] library, which depends on the
Botan [5] crypto library.

[4] https://www.rnpgp.com/software/rnp/
[5] https://botan.randombit.net/

Kai