Thunderbird 78, Enigmail and OpenPGP secure email

Ludovic Hirlimann ludovic at mozilla.com
Tue Oct 8 08:29:32 UTC 2019

On 10/8/19 9:20 AM, Kai Engert wrote:
> Please have a look at the following article which describes the approach
> we'd like to take:
>    https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:OpenPGP:2020
>
> If you have feedback, please post it to this list.

Are you considering leveraging Pronto mail's PGP library (like bugzilla
did a year or so ago) ?

(it doesn't support all encryption protocols, has issues with big keys
(like mine was over 800kb with signatures).

Are we following
https://latacora.singles/2019/07/16/the-pgp-problem.html to make sure
gpg/pgp in thunderbird will follow the new standard and make the wot
more usable ?

Regarding S/Mime the issue I had with it was renewing certs and these
days Find a cert issuer - there's probably oportunities for TB to
partner with someone and get some €€€ throught a S/mime partnersip (eg
referal from tb - someone pays for a cert and Tb get's revenue from it).

Final note I'm very happy to get this email today - because the main
reason I use TB is that I can easily use pgp with it. Thanks Patrick
(and Hi ). Thanks kaie.

Ludo

--

https://www.hirlimann.net/Ludovic/carnet/