Intent to de-support: traditional add-ons

Juergen Fenn jfenn at gmx.net
Sun Oct 6 18:01:50 UTC 2019

Am 06.10.19 um 18:06 Uhr schrieb Wayne Mery:
> Generally speaking memory usage in the 200-800 MB range is fine, and
> it's OK for it to go up and down as usage of functions and features
> changes.

The good news is that I cannot reproduce the 500 MB maximum at first
startup. I can confirm that memory use is indeed dynamic, that's fine.

After a restart of TB on my system (MacBook Pro mid 2012, 4 GB RAM,
macOS 10.13.6) TB 68 now requires some 170 MB RAM just after starting.
Usage goes up to some 350 MB when I also start the newsreader and chat
and start typing in the compose editor. I have no idea what caused the
500 MB usage earlier today. I tried starting the webbrowser for
installing new dictionaries, but this does not do it. Lightning is
disabled, as usual.

Anyway, memory usage of TB 60 vs. 68 went up from some 150--200 MB to
200--350 MB dynamically, and there are some 50 MB compressed memory -- I
think this was much less in TB 60.

@aceman: Thanks to you, too, for explaining. I can quite understand that
resources are scarce. But in the case of Manually sort folders, the
add-on ranks forth after Lightning, Import tool folders, and Provider
for Google Calendar. So I think there is a need for that feature which
is a normal part of other mail clients, too. You might like to think
about it again some time.

https://addons.thunderbird.net/de/thunderbird/extensions/?sort=users

Regards,
Jürgen.