Dropping legacy support: Moving forward

John Bieling john.bieling at gmx.de
Sun Oct 6 09:33:59 UTC 2019

Hi,

so learning WebExt is inevitable now. I have to start from scratch. My
current knowledge about WebExt: Zero. That is going to be a hard time.

I will have a lot of questions, which probably only core developers can
answer. But I think tb-planning is not the right place to ask them, but
https://thunderbird.topicbox.com, correct?

As we really need support of core devs to help us, will you follow
topics there? Time is running fast and answers are needed fast. Will you
be there?

One question is of general nature and thus I want to ask it here: *Why
will WebExt Experiments be disabled in a few years?*

We are in this situation, because Firefox/Mozilla decided, that WebExt
is the new thing. If Firefox would not have done that, we would be still
be able to create powerful add-ons, which can do almost everything.
There has never been a security issue with Thunderbird extensions. The
reason Firefox closed WebExt Experiments, are security issues, I think.

I can understand, that we need to follow the WebExt path, but disabling
WebExt Experiments is your own choice, right? If WebExt Experiments do
allow us to do all the things we need, why are we not allowed to use
them (later)?

Sure, if there are WebExt Experiments, that are of general use, they
should be moved as MailExtension API to core. But there will be
experiments, that will be useful only to a single add-on. Why should
that be moved into core? And there is still the chance, that it gets
rejected. Also, it makes add-on development much harder, as you have to
send patches to core.

I think this question must be answered now, as I do not want to go
through this in 5 years, when my addons again stop working, because
WebExt Experiments will be disabled.

Thanks for your time

John