Intent to de-support: traditional add-ons

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 01:18:29 UTC 2019

I absolutely agree 100% with everything Jörg said. I think I would have somehow liked
to express this, and that's exactly why we need a show an tell for Add-on authors, so
show / explain to *core developers *what we do with our Add-ons. I think just relying
on one of them discovering and using one of our Add-ons gives us only a very slim
chance to be regarded.

Also, at the moment I would not know how to convert most of the things I do into
APIs... I use a lot of XPCOM functionality (I think up to 50 different XPCOM
interfaces, for some only one or two functions others absoultely deep diving), so the
question is, *what of this can be "safely" exposed* to a web extension?

This was also one of the reasons why I thought " if it is *unsafe* for an Add-on *to
use XPCOM* /*why is it safe for Thunderbird JavaScript core code*/?".

As a Core Developer, please ask yourself: if the Thunderbird "Scripted layer" was
*forced *to go through an API (not allowed to use XPCOM idls anymore), would you
/*design it differently*/?

Axel

Music Production and Composition
<https://addons.thunderbird.net/thunderbird/addon/quickfolders-tabbed-folders/>,