Intent to de-support: traditional add-ons

Will will at impamark.co.uk
Thu Oct 3 14:58:43 UTC 2019

On 03/10/19 01:36, Óvári wrote:

> Hi Jörg,
>
> Is "DL FileLink Provider for Thunderbird" one add-on that is so
> important and not updated since TB 52?
>
> *DL FileLink Provider for Thunderbird*
> https://addons.thunderbird.net/addon/dl-for-thunderbird/
> https://www.thregr.org/~wavexx/software/dl/thunderbird.html

That's the killer one for us. Wrong ends of slow ADSL, places that can't
accept some attachments, don't want to entrust stuff to certain cloud
providers, overkill to try and setup something like nextcloud just for this.

I also have a plugin that lets us attach emails to Contacts in our CRM
(vtiger/Corebos) which we use a lot (the webmail in the CRM is horrendous)

I *may* be able to get someone to work on the CRM plugin but haven't
bothered looking until we get DL fixed as we can't upgrade without that.

I also note also that the G Calendar plugin (which I personally hate but
was adopted long before me) is likely to be converted to CalDav which
will have an effect as well, but I haven't even got that far yet.

I am not against progress. But I don't think that such a huge change was
managed that well, especially when there were things still not fixed on
the release of 60 which made it hard or impossible for some add on devs
to update. It's the plugins that make TB what it is.

We were railroaded into 60, and the speed at which the old packages were
removed made it extremely difficult to downgrade. I was lucky I found a
set which I have preserved if anyone wants them.

So yes there was rapid take up, but hardly surprising. It was a fait
accompli with most having zero choice and no idea what was going to break.

Anyways, that's us. Stuck until either something magical pops up or we
go elsewhere.