Intent to de-support: traditional add-ons

Will will at impamark.co.uk
Wed Oct 2 15:49:58 UTC 2019

On 01/10/19 20:27, Magnus Melin wrote:

> The numbers are small: Thunderbird 52 now has under 2.5% of users. But
> I don't think older versions is relevant to this discussion.

Yup - unfortunately we are part of that 2.5% and older versions ARE
relevant to this discussion (I wonder how many were force upgraded to
60+ and wanted to go back but didn't know how, and how many were so
angry they just dumped TB altogether?)

And the reason is that we can't get updated extensions from the
developers, nor find anyone willing to update them, even for $$$$$

They are not even that complicated, but..... I just can't find anyone,
but then I guess that is a direct response to the waning TB user base.
Less users, less developers.

So we are stuck in a hole and abandoned by TB, despite our best efforts.

It really isn't nice being told we are wrong and out of touch and
irrelevant and that paradise lives over the next rainbow.

In fact it is intensely annoying.

So for us, 52.x with a couple of extensions does exactly what we want,
which is more than can be said for your shiny new things.

"All that glisters is not gold"

And it will stay that way until we get something fixed or move to an
alternative solution.

I agree with the comments from Eyal who hits the nail pretty squarely on
the head.