From mozmill to mochitests (Re: Intent to de-support: traditional add-ons)

ISHIKAWA,chiaki ishikawa at yk.rim.or.jp
Wed Oct 2 09:00:49 UTC 2019

I have changed the subject line.

I am focusing on a side topic.

 > Mozmill (used in our test infra): we're converting over to using
mochitests instead

So we are moving from mozmill to mochitests.

How is it planned?

I would like to see a smooth transition.

For example,

- rewriting test one by one from mozmill to mochitests and
   create a duplicate set of existing tests (functional duplicates) so that
   equivalent of all the tests are available and have been thoroughly tested
   by the time we switch from mozmill to mochitests completely.

- Is there a document to describe how to rewrite mozmill tests to
mochitests to guide such conversion?

(- One thing I noticed is that there *ARE* xpcshell tests for TB, but
xpcshell test framework doesn't create
    visible windows during tests and that cause some local hacks to fail
since
    I could not produce visible error message to the user due to lack of
visible screen
    when an serious I/O error occurs. I hope mochitests won't have such
strange restriction.
    Oh well, since it checks the GUI operation as well, there WILL be
screens, I suppose.)

What is the planned timescale of the transition?
End of 2019 is unattainable.
Maybe the end of 2020?

TIA

Chiaki