[Council Meeting] Meeting minutes from 2019-09-19

Philipp Kewisch kewisch at thunderbird.net
Tue Oct 1 22:06:43 UTC 2019

Hey Eyal

these questions highlight concerns I've had with publishing minutes. They are all great questions, but meeting minutes aren't typically the format where we'd be going into this much detail. I'd like to see how we can improve the information flow while keeping practicality in mind.

We are currently using the full hour for the council meeting and sometimes going over. These notes are taken during that meeting, while we are discussing the issues. If we were to expand these notes to add background information for each item, the meeting would likely take a lot longer. The notes also are written from our perspective, including the background knowledge a council member will have.

There is certainly information we could fill in after the meeting, but the amount of detail you're asking for will quickly turn this into a blog post style report. Not saying that is a bad thing, just a different format with its own benefits and weaknesses.

There are also items that are intentionally vague, which may be more elaborate in the actual notes. This includes items that contain confidential information that we can't share, for example for legal reasons or the expectation of confidentiality when dealing with partners or potential partners. For these items we have as appropriate been writing a public version to note we've talked about them, but of course they don't contain a lot of info so they are of limited use.

I'm wondering if those vague items are actually helpful to the community, or if we should mention only the items we can share?

Does anyone else feel the current format is insufficient? I'd love to collect more opinions to see how we can improve our communication.

Philipp