Intent to de-support: traditional add-ons

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Tue Oct 1 18:27:57 UTC 2019

On 01-10-2019 18:39, Eyal Rozenberg wrote:
> Ah, in that case I'm vehemently opposed to Magnus' suggestion.
>
> Me (and others) have put our own share of work to adapt our extensions,
> and we should not have the rug pulled from under us just when we've
> gotten ourselves on some half-stable footing.

This is not pulling the rug, it's just about removing support for
dead-end technologies and pointing people to a better and all-in-all
easier way of achieving the goals. Of course it requires some work, but
longer term less so.

> Magnus Melin wrote:
>> Going forwards we want to change this.
> Please don't.
>
> What is the point of everybody's hard work if it's just being thrown away?
>

> John Bieling wrote:
>>  From Thunderbirds point of view, TB60 will reach EOL soon.
> In what way?

As usual, the 60 ESR cycle is coming to an end. There are not going to
be any further (even) security fixes for the 60 series. The next upgrade
step is to Thunderbird 68. With the 68.2 release, the 60.x series is EOL.

> Hunderds of thousands (if not millions) of users will
> continue using v60 and versions well before 60 for a few years going
> forward. Not to mention the fact that TB 52 with lots of extensions
> beats TB 68 or later with a lot less extensions, for many people.

The numbers are small: Thunderbird 52 now has under 2.5% of users. But I
don't think older versions is relevant to this discussion.

  -Magnus