New Thunderbird Website

Matt Harris unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 23:07:29 UTC 2019

On 28-Nov-19 12:38 AM, Jay Hankins wrote:
> Michael,
>
>> On Nov 27, 2019, at 8:15 AM, Michael Peddemors <michael at linuxmagic.com> wrote:
>>
>> hehehe.. doesn't DoH (DNS over HTTPS) give the ability to track? Kind of incongruous don't you think?
> I’m curious what about DoH you think gives “the ability to track”. Can you explain?

In this instance all your DNS queries that used to go to your chosen DNS
provider,  usually the ISP,  are now being directed to a central
provider.  In the case of the Firefox defaults cloudfare,  who have
signed agreements with Mozilla about what they will and will not retain
because Mozilla can see the possible pitfalls.  Including cloudfare (Or
whatever provider is used) knowing what sites you visit in the various
privacy modes.  DNS is typically anonymous, but that does not make the
data useless in profiling and to some extent deanonymizing it.  I am not
saying regular DNS is not already used as a mine of information,  it
is.  But to some extent this makes the trove much larger as the
application will come with a default provider, whereas until now that
was mostly data the ISP had access to and sold.

Some source documents on DNS and DOH and their cash cow status
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6538356-Mozilla-Letter-to-Congress-on-DoH.html
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20191104/07341243314/mozilla-isps-are-lying-about-encrypted-dns-should-have-privacy-practices-investigated.shtml

But it does not really matter what provider you have for DNS,  you are
providing them with details of every site you visit and when. Based on
subsequent requests from you a reasonable case can be made for how long
you stay on the site.  Baring leaving the tab open a month,  which I do
for some things.

Matt