Intent to de-support: traditional add-ons

Will will at impamark.co.uk
Sun Nov 3 13:16:35 UTC 2019

On 01/11/19 22:56, Andrei Hajdukewycz wrote:

> Extension support is not significant to most users. Seasonal
> variations like summer European vacations, Christmas, and Easter have
> more effect on Thunderbird user numbers than any change to extension
> support ever could. Users did not significantly change during last's
> year's TB60 addonpocalypse either, so I wouldn't expect any huge
> difference when 68 auto updates go out.

That is a logical fallacy because it is NOT based on free choice.

You can't really say that when:

a) forced auto updates are followed by immediate removal of old packages
to prevent downgrades

b) you know that most users are used to being bullied with
update/upgrades even if they don't want them and just put up with it

c) It isn't that easy to find anywhere to complain, or anyone to
complain too..... and even if you do you are usually told 'we think it
is great therefore you must' - which we have seen here far too often.

You argument may have held a bit more water if people were given a free
choice on upgrading, but as it is your reasoning is totally flawed.
Please stop using it.