Intent to de-support: traditional add-ons

Ryan Sipes ryan at thunderbird.net
Sun Nov 3 00:41:57 UTC 2019

Hey all,

I think it's good to bring down the temperature on this conversation a
little bit. We are not going to stop supporting add-ons - and there is
probably a case to be made for putting additional resources into helping
add-on authors while they transition to a MailExtension/WebExtension world.

One thing I would like to remind everyone who participates in these
discussions is that our community participation guidelines
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/governance/policies/participation/>
state that while we can disagree vehemently - we should do so whilst
*being respectful* of the people we disagree with. Having spoken with a
ton of add-on authors and the people tasked with supporting add-ons
working on Thunderbird core, both sides have a really hard time
appreciating the burden on the other.

I'm pledging, and I know other folks in the project have voiced their
support for finding a way to provide more resources for add-on
developers. We will get this done, in the meantime we should refrain
from attacking each other and come up with where we can work together to
do the most good.

Ryan Sipes
Community and Business Development Manager
Thunderbird <https://thunderbird.net>