Intent to de-support: traditional add-ons - Let's talk about more relevant statistics then user counts

Jörg Knobloch jorgk at jorgk.com
Sat Nov 2 23:56:41 UTC 2019

On 01/11/2019 22:56, Andrei Hajdukewycz wrote:
> Sure, I agree with you. The context here is not "should we support
> extensions or not?" it's - how much work do we put into supporting
> them. We already put in a lot of work, arguably more than the return
> on investment.

I don't think so and the "return on investment" part is totally unproven.

You seem to forget one fact that is of utmost importance:

The pillars of the community, power-users, add-on authors, ,
contributors, developers and I'd also say donors, all use use add-ons.
You cut out that (user) group and you will kill the project.

Please generate some statistics to prove or disprove this. Let's have
some statistics that prove that add-on support and donations are
unrelated. That's the *only* statistic that counts. Whether my mother
who uses no add-ons uses Thunderbird or not, with all due respect, does
not change the project way, shape or form. She could be using KMail or
whatever else is available on her platform.

Our product with its bazillion functions relies on non-run-of-the-mill
people who use those functions in many weird and wonderful ways, and
extensibility through add-ons is part of that culture.

So far the argument seems like: The tissue that connects the retina to
the brain is only 0.1% of the total body mass, so it's negligible, let's
remove it. You've just blinded the patient :-(

Jörg.