Intent to de-support: traditional add-ons

Andrei Hajdukewycz sancus at thunderbird.net
Fri Nov 1 23:41:39 UTC 2019

On 11/1/2019 4:29 PM, Eyal Rozenberg wrote:

> Also, I suspect there's quite a bit of under-counting going on. It
> seems strange that so many extension authors continue to update their
> extensions despite supposedly having no users. And that numerous
> extensions have dozens of daily downloads despite having no users at
> all, or a number of users under half an order of magnitude of the
> daily downloads. I wonder whether some of it isn't a
> "use-and-disable-when-done" pattern.
Downloads aren't counted, there is no download data on ATN. But sure,
suspect all you like. You haven't done any work to support any of your
assertions or assumptions.

> These two sentences are an example of the myopia I was talking about.
> Take my less-popular extension for example: BiDi Mail UI. It is all
> but necessary if you want to read or write email in a right-to-left
> language. But - it's only the 103'rd most popular extension. Why?
> Because the vast majority of people in Arabic, Farsi, Urdu and
> Hebrew-speaking countries simply do not know about Thunderbird. They
> haven't tried it, haven't heard of it. (And yes, computer use is
> significantly lower in those countries on average than in Europe and
> the US, but not as low as some might think.)
>
> So add-ons do and will drive user base growth in countries using these
> languages. Which means among 400 Million people or so. That is, when
> growth is not prevented by other factors.
>
> Now, mine is just one example - I'm sure there are others.
Um, this doesn't make any sense. Your add-on hasn't driven any growth,
and it's not likely to in the future. Sure, it might be a feature that
users from those areas would want, if they started using Thunderbird,
but that's got nothing at all to do with the add-on driving growth.

Honestly, the fact that you call this 'myopic' leads me to believe that
I am wasting my breath here.

> That's an unacceptable argument.
>
> If that's true, then stop wasting your time and ours with this wild
> goose chase of extension maintenance.

OK, you've convinced me. It is not worth engaging with you or other
add-on authors with your type of attitude anymore. That is my (personal)
stance going forward. Sorry. It's simply not worth the time.