UI mock-up - Account Setup Rev.3

Alessandro Castellani alessandro at thunderbird.net
Sat May 11 02:48:52 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-10 4:50 p.m., Ben Bucksch wrote:
> I've explained the difference between Manual Config and Advanced Config:
Sorry if I missed that before, and thanks for explaining it again.
> The "Advanced Config" button ... By allowing this simple escape route
> for advanced users, where we make absolutely no checks, and the user
> can just mis-configure whatever he wants, we make the power users and
> IT admins happy, without compromising the normal path for normal end
> users.

I understand that, and it makes sense, but I have a doubt. Isn't the
"Account Settings" dialog kinda useless without an account? Probably I'm
wrong but, shouldn't the user have at least an email + name saved in
order to access the advanced configuration? Otherwise he'll see only the
Local Folder settings, right?

Currently in TB, if you close the Account Setup dialog and open the
Settings Dialog, you can't create an account unless you go through the
same Account Setup dialog. Is that right? Am I missing something?

That's where my confusion is.

> I hope you see the idea behind the current dialog: Make as much
> automatic as possible. Allow override where it fails. Do show things
> that we absolutely need to get a working configuration, and help as
> much as possible. Do not show things that are not normally needed for
> most users, but allow this to be available for those who do need it.

That's the absolute goal we're trying to achieve, and that's why I'm
trying to properly understand the current technical workflow and what
can and cannot be done.

So, I'm convinced a shortcut to advanced configuration is needed for
fringe cases, advanced users, or when our auto config and the manual
config screen are not enough, that's for sure.

I'm not sure if we should add the "advanced config" link on the first
screen tho, because then you're there, and to create an account you need
to reopen the same modal, unless we're considering creating an option to
add an account directly in the advanced configuration, but that would be
for another discussion when we'll rework the UX of that dialog.

Thanks again everyone for your detailed feedback and constructive
criticism, it's refreshing seeing such passion on every little detail.
We're gonna make TB more awesome than ever!

Cheers,

--
*Alessandro Castellani*
Lead UX Architect