UI mock-up - Account Setup Rev.3

Alessandro Castellani alessandro at thunderbird.net
Fri May 10 23:15:07 UTC 2019


Tanstaafl raises some great points that make me think about the 
difference between /manual config/ and /advanced config/...what's the 
difference?e

Also, what's so drastically important inside the /Account Settins > 
Server Settings/ that it's not available inside the /manual config/?

I think having 2 options, simple (guided) and advanced (manual), could 
solve a lot of complexity

On 2019-05-10 5:40 a.m., Tanstaafl wrote:
> On Fri May 10 2019 06:43:12 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Ben
> Bucksch <ben.bucksch at beonex.com> wrote:
>> I think the "Advanced config" should really be a button, because it's an
>> action. It will immediately create the account without further
>> validation (which is the point, it's for people who want to opt out of
>> all the hand-holding).
> So you're proposing a new function? Because that is definitely not how
> it works now.
>
> The only way to create an unvalidated account is to click the 'Manual
> Config' button during the initial validation process before it fails. If
> you don't, once the validation fails, the 'Advanced Config' button is
> greyed out/unavailable. This has always been broken ever since the new
> Account Creation wizard was created. There was alot of yelling about not
> being able to save an account that couldn't be validated, but iirc, the
> consensus of the devs at the time was that an account that caanot be
> validated should not be saved - so it was intentional.
>
>> A link looks like you're opening a page, or expanding a section, so that
>> doesn't make the seriousness of the action clear.
> Actually, I would argue that this should be just what you described - a
> togglable functionality, not a new 'create the account now as it is,
> working or not'.
>
> So you have two modes: Basic, and Advanced, that you can toggle between
> anytime during the account creation process. When in Advanced Mode, the
> button/link changes to 'Basic Configuration'.
>
>> In fact, the link, given its placement, will encourage clicks out of
>> curiosity. That's what we want to avoid, because it will lead to broken
>> configuration, if used without knowing what you do.
> Not if it merely toggles between two different modes.
>
>> This is really just for admins.
> No, it is for users, and many (most) of TB users are much more advanced
> than  the average grandma, and I certainly don't want to dumb TB down to
> the lowest common denominator.
>
>> The Advanced Config button could actually be on the first screen, where
>> you say "Get new email address". You'd still need to enter protocol,
>> server hostname and username before we open the advanced dialog, because
>> we need that info to create the account, so it's a little more work. But
>> I think it makes sense, because people who use the advanced config don't
>> want all the smarts of the account creation dialog at all. And this way,
>> we get it out of sight of the normal user flow, and avoid curious clicks.
> Again, per my above, I disagree... just have two modes - Basic (or
> Simple), and Advanced, easily toggled between.
> _______________________________________________
> tb-planning mailing list
> tb-planning at mozilla.org
> https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/tb-planning
-- 
*Alessandro Castellani*
Lead UX Architect
Thunderbird
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-planning/attachments/20190510/887c3d4d/attachment.html>


More information about the tb-planning mailing list