UI mock-up - Account Setup Rev.3

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Fri May 10 12:40:17 UTC 2019

On Fri May 10 2019 06:43:12 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Ben
Bucksch <ben.bucksch at beonex.com> wrote:
> I think the "Advanced config" should really be a button, because it's an
> action. It will immediately create the account without further
> validation (which is the point, it's for people who want to opt out of
> all the hand-holding).

So you're proposing a new function? Because that is definitely not how
it works now.

The only way to create an unvalidated account is to click the 'Manual
Config' button during the initial validation process before it fails. If
you don't, once the validation fails, the 'Advanced Config' button is
greyed out/unavailable. This has always been broken ever since the new
Account Creation wizard was created. There was alot of yelling about not
being able to save an account that couldn't be validated, but iirc, the
consensus of the devs at the time was that an account that caanot be
validated should not be saved - so it was intentional.

> A link looks like you're opening a page, or expanding a section, so that
> doesn't make the seriousness of the action clear.

Actually, I would argue that this should be just what you described - a
togglable functionality, not a new 'create the account now as it is,
working or not'.

So you have two modes: Basic, and Advanced, that you can toggle between
anytime during the account creation process. When in Advanced Mode, the
button/link changes to 'Basic Configuration'.

> In fact, the link, given its placement, will encourage clicks out of
> curiosity. That's what we want to avoid, because it will lead to broken
> configuration, if used without knowing what you do.

Not if it merely toggles between two different modes.

> This is really just for admins.

No, it is for users, and many (most) of TB users are much more advanced
than  the average grandma, and I certainly don't want to dumb TB down to
the lowest common denominator.

> The Advanced Config button could actually be on the first screen, where
> you say "Get new email address". You'd still need to enter protocol,
> server hostname and username before we open the advanced dialog, because
> we need that info to create the account, so it's a little more work. But
> I think it makes sense, because people who use the advanced config don't
> want all the smarts of the account creation dialog at all. And this way,
> we get it out of sight of the normal user flow, and avoid curious clicks.

Again, per my above, I disagree... just have two modes - Basic (or
Simple), and Advanced, easily toggled between.