UI mock-up - Account Setup Rev.3

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Fri May 10 10:43:12 UTC 2019

alex wrote on 10.05.19 06:24:
> As promised, here's a quick round of updates based on your helpful
> feedback.
>
> Regarding the height of the modal, as I said before, we will handle it
> with a scrollbar in case it grows past the monitor height.
> I was also playing with the idea of collapsing the "standard
> credentials" to gain some space. This behavior could happen only if
> the credentials are correct and nothing is missing, giving the ability
> to the user to show them again with a link at the top (screen #9, the
> last one to the right of the 3rd row).
> I'm not super convinced about this for various reasons, but it could
> be something to A/B test while in beta.
>
> More mock-ups have been added to this project, specifically, one for
> Windows and its UI elements (yuck), and one for Ubuntu 19.04
> These are not accurate but just an average representation of how
> native elements behave with this UI.
>
> https://presentator.ura.design/en/XP9IsbuQ?v=0&s=1&m=preview
>
> Well...I think it's time to open some bug reports and start coding
> this beauty.

Thanks for adding this.
I think the "Advanced config" should really be a button, because it's an
action. It will immediately create the account without further
validation (which is the point, it's for people who want to opt out of
all the hand-holding).
A link looks like you're opening a page, or expanding a section, so that
doesn't make the seriousness of the action clear.
In fact, the link, given its placement, will encourage clicks out of
curiosity. That's what we want to avoid, because it will lead to broken
configuration, if used without knowing what you do.
It should really be completely out of the user's focus (eye focus). It
should also visually suggest that it's an action, given that it creates
the account and exits the wizard.
Could we make it a button, but a smaller one? And, please, completely
out of the user focus. We don't want to encourage curious clicks. Nor
people feeling "mighty", "I can do this, I'm a big boy".

This is really just for admins.

The Advanced Config button could actually be on the first screen, where
you say "Get new email address". You'd still need to enter protocol,
server hostname and username before we open the advanced dialog, because
we need that info to create the account, so it's a little more work. But
I think it makes sense, because people who use the advanced config don't
want all the smarts of the account creation dialog at all. And this way,
we get it out of sight of the normal user flow, and avoid curious clicks.