UI mock-up - Account Setup Rev.3

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Thu May 9 18:03:37 UTC 2019

On Thu May 09 2019 03:31:57 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Ben
Bucksch <ben.bucksch at beonex.com> wrote:

>   * There is no need to separate the password entry fields. The
>     password is almost always identical, even in cases where the
>     username is different. Nobody in his right mind asks users to
>     remember different passwords for IMAP and SMTP. If that indeed
>     happens, that is so so rare, the user can later enter a new SMTP
>     password manually. We should not encumber the dialog with 0.001%
>     cases. That's what the Advanced Config dialog is for. *1

It looks to me - based on the two different mock-ups - like the separate
username/password entry fields only show up (dynamically I imagine) if
the user unchecks the 'Use same credentials for sending mail' option,
which would make sense.

But Alessandro would need to confirm that.

> *1 It might be a good idea to add the password entry to the Account
> settings dialog in Thunderbird. It would change the corresponding
> entry in the password database, instead of the user having to fish the
> right entry manually out of the password database dialog, or waiting
> for password failure and password re-try prompt.

I strongly agree - this is something else I've always meant to open a
bug/enhancement request for, so thanks very much for bringing it up.

Also, the 'Use same credentials for sending mail' checkbox option will
also need to be added to the Account Settings > Server Settings dialog.