Thunderbird start/account dialog

alex alessandro at thunderbird.net
Thu May 9 03:50:45 UTC 2019

Hi Christopher,

Thank you so much for your great feedback.

A sort of welcome page might be a really good approach for the account
page, what you see when you click on your email account, where as you
said we can have way more flexibility.

I don't think a welcome page should be a replacement for the account
setup dialog, as a dialog forces us to be careful with space and
content, and helps the user to focus on one thing at the time through a
guided and compact workflow.

Nevertheless, your suggestion is much appreciated.

P.S. I'm an avid VSCode user, so thank you so much for contributing on
that great piece of software :D

On 2019-05-03 3:15 p.m., Christopher Leidigh wrote:

> I am hoping more feedback is welcome versus too much...
>
> under that assumption, my 1.5c:
>
> Full disclosure - I have been a collaborator for the Microsoft Visual
> Studio Code project for two years (I do have a bias)
>
> VCS is obviously a very different tool used by developers not the
> average Joe.  It does have a lot in common with Thunderbird
>
> Regardless , I wanted to focus on one feature, the welcome page.  I
> apologize if I missed it among the many threads, but I do not think
>
> anyone has mentioned using something like this welcome page as opposed
> to a dialogue.  As you can see from below, the welcome page
>
> which is shown at all startups if not disabled by the user, shows a
> pretty complete set of jumpoff points for things you would typically do
>
> both at first launch as well as new sessions.  By using more of a
> full-page approach we have much more flexibility to point people in
> the right direction
>
> either as novices , or experienced people looking for extensions right
> away,  The importation of certificates, accounts OR "advertising"
> offering a new
>
> e-mail account are all possible with the page, but would be very hard
> to do in a dialogue.  NoOne needs to close anything or more importantly
>
> be concerned about closing dialogue with a page approaches well.  The
> other thing is that a page like this can be much more dynamic since
> its focus
>
> is arguably more generalized and it can absorb evolution without real
> paradigm changes.  Making more dynamic content within this context
>
> also has some advantages.
>
> FWIW
>
> Christopher

Alessandro Castellani