UI mock-up - Account Setup Rev.2

Disaster Master disasterlistmanager at gmail.com
Wed May 8 15:11:14 UTC 2019

On 5/8/2019, 10:49:09 AM, Ben Bucksch <ben.bucksch at beonex.com> wrote:
> Tanstaafl wrote on 06.05.19 15:46:
>> Why make me enter a username/password twice? It makes zero sense.

> We don't.
>
> When you start the Manual Config mode,

"What we have here, is, a failure to communicate."

Ben, I'm not *only* talking about the act of creating an account, but I
do think the new option (if created) would belong on the account
creation dialog as well.

I'll try again...

1. Change the password for an existing account, one you already have set
up and are using in Thunderbird.

2. Get a prompt to update the password the next time you launch
Thunderbird (or, if you have 'Check for new messages at startup'
unchecked, the next time you click on any folder in the account).

3. Enter the new password, get access to messages.

4. Compose a new email, and click 'Send'.

5. Get YET ANOTHER PROMPT to update the password.

Step 5 is what the option I am discussing would eliminate.

All other modern email clients have an option to use the same
credentials for sending as receiving.

All I'm asking for is for Thunderbird to do the same sane thing.

> We added separate fields, because there are small minority of users on
> strangely and user-unfriendly administered servers who need a different
> username for IMAP and SMTP.

I understand that, and I am not asking anyone to eliminate this option.

What I'm asking is to admit that what you describe above is an extremely
rare corner case, and switch to a paradigm of working the way 99+% of
people using email would expect.

> We did *not* add a checkbox option, because it would have added extra
> clutter and mental burden. Having all the fields identical between IMAP
> and SMTP makes it simpler and faster to understand mentally.

For *account creation*, yes... but you only do that once. I'm talking
about ongoing account (password) *maintenance*.

> This dialog was very deeply thought out, with a lot of feedback from
> many parties.

Maybe so, but it ignores the reality that the vast majority (99.9+%?) of
all email accounts will use the same credentials for sending as receiving.