UI mock-up - Account Setup

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Thu May 2 14:34:18 UTC 2019

On Thu May 02 2019 00:58:49 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Mark
Rousell <mark.rousell at signal100.com> wrote:
> First of all it is a use case right now, here in the real world. Why?
> Because Thunderbird's thick client nature naturally lends itself to this
> functionality and always has done. It's here and now and real.
It is, but the number of people that would want to use it *only* as an
email archive, without having an associated email account containing
email that they want to archive, is probably far less than 1%, even less
than 0.1%. Of course, I'm pulling those numbers out of one of my
orifices, but I'd be willing to bet substantial money I'm not farr of,
if there was a way to prove it either way (which I'm pretty sure there
isn't).

> Of course, setting up a mail account is functionality that most users
> want but the ability to step out of the process for those who don't need
> a mail account would certainly be an improvement to functionality.

Of course I have no problem with having a 'Cancel' or 'Setup Email
Later' button.

> Using Thunderbird as a local archive for one's Gmail account is most
> certainly what I recognise as a wholly valid use case for Thunderbird.

Sure - but it does, in fact, require that you actually set up your gmail
email account in Thunderbird to do it.

Personally, I find this conversation a bit silly.

It sounds like all you are advocating for is a 'Cancel' or 'Do it later'
button in the initial Account Setup wizard/dialog.

That is fine with me.