UI mock-up - Account Setup

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Thu May 2 14:16:58 UTC 2019

On Wed May 01 2019 15:35:09 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Mark
Rousell <mark.rousell at signal100.com> wrote:
> First of all, if Thunderbird handles non-email functionality at all,
> which of course it does, then it is only reasonable to expect that users
> might expect it to be used in exactly that way. Why force someone to set
> up an email account that might not exist simply as a gateway to
> Thunderbird's other functions? That makes no sense.

Thunderbird is first and foremost an email client. If you disagree, then
further discussion is pointless, and we'll just have to agree to disagree.

> it's not so surprising that a user might want to use it as, for
> example, an indexed email archive container or calendar app. Whilst
> I'd certainly admit that this is probably not a common usage,

That is what 'corner case' means.

> it is nevertheless true to say that, as a result of Thunderbird's
> inherent thick-client functionality, it would be an
> over-simplification to dismiss such uses "corner cases".
I disagree. If you have data to support that there are a substantial
number - more than 1%? - of people using Thunderbird without at least
one valid email account, then we can discuss it.