UI mock-up - Account Setup

Matt Harris unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Thu May 2 02:58:25 UTC 2019

Without a mail account Thunderbird it is a pretty poor calendar app.
Invites don't work.  Either way.

As for indexed email archive,  I think if we to be looking at such an
animal as a use case then a different "group" of data stores would
necessarily be required.  It would perhaps be a good extension of the
existing archive.  However use as such is not really what the program is
developed for and should not constrain the main app to that sort of
archival storage only.  Thunderbird is an email account centric
application with a user interface that is based around you having
"Mail", mail folders and mail accounts (bee they RSS, NNTP or email).  I
personally support an "archive" mail account type that can have "any"
permanently connected location defined for it.  So the mail archive can
be stored on a NAS etc.  Perhaps even with restricted update options and
restrict users from modifying the archive.  You add,  not remove from an
archive for example.  Having an "archive account type would allow for
accounts to be "decommissioned" without fuss.  they are just disabled
from all normal get and sync because they are archives. Changing the
account type might also "move" the store location to the registered
archive location (not in the profile)

If your into chat, pidgin makes more sense as a stand alone client than
thunderbird.  So I would say it is not even an edge case as a stand
alone usage.

I know there are those still smarting about the demise of Sunbird.  But
it is dead, and Thunderbird is not a replacement stand alone calendar.
It is those sort of edge case roles that make the product difficult for
new users.  They read a blog post about using Thunderbird as an archive
for their gmail.  Then they spend days in a forum somewhere trying to
force feed a gmail mbox zip of 15Gb into Thunderbird.  Or download it
via IMAP and "move" it to a local folder.  Or try and use it as a stand
alone calendar and try to puzzle out why they can not send invites.

The very first prerequisite for even thinking we should support calendar
only is an open calendar option on right clicking the windows toolbar,
with appropriate user interface to allow a calendar only usage to make
sense to the general user, rather than the "power" user.

Matt