UI mock-up - Account Setup

Mark Rousell mark.rousell at signal100.com
Wed May 1 19:35:09 UTC 2019

On 01/05/2019 17:04, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On Tue Apr 30 2019 22:37:10 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Mark
> Rousell <mark.rousell at signal100.com> wrote:
>> Yes. Thunderbird can be used as an email archive container (no actual
>> mail account needed) or as a client for the non-email protocols that it
>> supports.
> Well, I think we can at least agree that anyone using TB in tha manner
> would be an extremely rare corner case.

No, we cannot "at least" agree. That's because they are not "corner
cases". Here is why: One must remember that Thunderbird is a thick
client; it's not just a 'simple' thin protocol client. Thunderbird has
its own functionality.

First of all, if Thunderbird handles non-email functionality at all,
which of course it does, then it is only reasonable to expect that users
might expect it to be used in exactly that way. Why force someone to set
up an email account that might not exist simply as a gateway to
Thunderbird's other functions? That makes no sense.

More substantively, as I note above, Thunderbird's functionality is not
just about connecting to things. Indeed, as a thick client, it can do
far more than being a simplistic IMAP-only/server storage-only email
client. In this light, it's not so surprising that a user might want to
use it as, for example, an indexed email archive container or calendar
app. Whilst I'd certainly admit that this is probably not a common
usage, it is nevertheless true to say that, as a result of Thunderbird's
inherent thick-client functionality, it would be an over-simplification
to dismiss such uses "corner cases".

--
Mark Rousell