UI mock-up - Account Setup

Matt Harris unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Thu May 2 01:18:58 UTC 2019

Just my 2cents worth.

Account setup is not necessarily what folks want to do on first startup
and we should be acknowledging that;

  * Lots are migrating from a previous device and want their old mail
    and address book.  Some are savy enough to want to import their
    whole profile. (not that I have much hope for that in the future).
    So migration must be an option.
  * Some folk are simply "trying out a new profile" for diagnostic reasons.

For these reasons I think we should be making that first run far more
broad, offering to import their old profile, offering to defer mail
download on account creation until the user get to customise server
retention and junk management.  We should also be offering far more
informative diagnostics.

One of the high incidence causes of new account setup failure is bad
firewalls blocking Thunderbird. I feel we can do significantly more to
identify these fairly common situations and provide useful feedback to
the user.  They appear in support with account setup fails, can't find
settings.  Failure to connect to the ISPD to try and get setting should
be a red flag event, but it is not. Failure to connect to
Thunderbird.net to load the welcome page on first run should be
another.  We start crippled and things go down hill after that.  We need
to somehow suggest when "network" issues are the problem rather than
"settings" issues.  "are you sure the user name and password are
correct"  does not help anyone much.

This process should perhaps also include something of a tutorial
offering some of the most popular add-ons.  Things like the import
export tools (it is sad an add-ons with that name is the second most
popular) manually sort folders and quicktext to name but a few.  We sell
Thunderbird as customisabile,  but we do precious little to introduce
the new users to add-ons and themes to support that,  instead we talk
about few users ever changing the defaults.  This flow should include
the install of lightning.  I see plenty of screen shots in support where
the install lightning banner is just a part of the screen furniture.
The user never having selected yes or no.

What we really need is a first run setup wizard that can be used after
install to get the user into options, add-ons and account settings
without having to navigate our god awful app menu with it's hidden
"click the >" action, (or hover) that does different things to clicking
the words.  I see a lot of discussion about how important having "native
menus etc is.  Then you go to support and check the apple users and
their issues locating the options menu are legend.  We need to role our
own way to get users into settings without using native anything.  We
had it right with the V3 migration wizard,  then dropped the ball really.

I like the changes,  but it needs more "actions" other than setup an
account, either that or a big exit button, which should probably be
included anyway.  No one likes to feel trapped in a screen flow.
Especially if they work out it is not going where they want to go.

Matt