UI mock-up - Account Setup

Ryan Sipes ryan at thunderbird.net
Wed May 1 19:06:12 UTC 2019

Hey,

I'll try to lay out my logic for ensuring create a new account stays
prominent in setup and why I think it is important going forward:

1.) As laid out in the Council elections, there will likely be changes
that allow us to focus more on partnerships and other lines of revenue
beyond donations. I saw Ben's post about this being less than 1% in the
past. But I have some numbers that seem to indicate it is higher than that.

2.) Right now we don't sell the user on why they should use a provider,
and there are potential partners that have great features (that work
great with Thunderbird) which we could highlight if they are looking for
a new account. I think making a new account a compelling option would
allow us to get revenue from this and help move people off of providers
with a surveillance model of business (*cough* Gmail *cough*).

As Charles points out below, there are other potential services that
Thunderbird could be considering. As I laid out in election, under the
Foundation we can't really consider that. But we may be able to in the
future as we continue discussions around organizational changes for
Thunderbird.

I think we could move any discussion around this to another thread, but
to put a cap on the new account creation in Thunderbird - I would like
an opportunity to iterate on this in the product and make it a value add
by introducing users to BETTER providers than they might be using. Also,
based on the revenue gained from this last year - there are quite a few
folks who explore a new account.

Ryan Sipes
Community and Business Development Manager
Thunderbird <https://thunderbird.net>