UI mock-up - Account Setup

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Wed May 1 10:21:11 UTC 2019

Get Thunderbird!

+1

yes absolutely (I already elaborated in my previous post) - I think if it is a
validation error (which would not allow the dialog to progress to the next step) a
permanent tooltip triggered by onblur( ) would be a nice way of solving this. On top
of that having a (?) button beside each entry that shows an explanation on hover would
be a good way to keep the dialog streamlined. I don't want people force fed a ton of
information unless they take an action as it can be overwhelming .

> All these solutions create visual cues that catch the user's eye, without moving
> elements around or changing the location of fields and buttons, like it happens in
> the current field.

+1

> *Cancel the dialog
> *
>
> This is something I'd like to hear your thoughts about it. Since any dialog can be
> closed through the window controls, do we want to highlight this option with a
> dedicated button?

+1

I absolutely think this is necessary, because (as I said before) giving a clearly
guided dialog and then leaving the user to guess "What happens if I just close this
window?" is just introducing unnecessary doubt & anxiety in an otherwise well thought
out process.

> The idea here is to somewhat prevent this if the user access TB for the first time
> and no accounts is set up. Is TB usable in any way without an account?
>
> Anyway, a "Set Up Later" button or link can be added on the first screen, but I
> wouldn't add it or keep it once the user is in the funnel, to prevent accidental
> clicks or confusion with the back button.

Makes sense.. There is always the breadcrumb trail back for people who change their
minds. Which reminds me - could you add a breadcrumb link trail at the top / bottom
just to see what it feels like? What I like about this is that it shows the set up is
part of a "funnel" which gives the user a sense of accomplishment. Or is that
overkill? Also, is the setup dialog planned to go "full screen" within the Thunderbird
client window, or is that too much?

Axel