Add-on review times at ATN

Wayne Mery vseerror at lehigh.edu
Wed Mar 20 13:19:31 UTC 2019

On 3/19/2019 4:05 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On Tue Mar 19 2019 14:11:19 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Jörg
> Knobloch <jorgk at jorgk.com> wrote:
>> My conclusion is that everyone is happy with waiting times of up to six
>> months since the discussion has drifted elsewhere (like on so many
>> occasions).
> That's a pretty awful assumption to make just based on some chatter here
> on the mail list.

Indeed assumptions can be bad.  And I'm surprised Jorg would think that
people on this list who don't have data about why addons are in the
queue could possibly have enough insight to make a meaningful
contribution to the question.

I have limited understanding of the data (I'm not a reviewer) and I have
not done a statistical analysis, so the following should be considered
incomplete. From what I see the majority of addons are probably being
reviewed quickly, and many those that are in the queue have issues.
Some examples of what I see

* One addon per day is being approved (on average) since Jan 1, 2019.

* Yes, the oldest in queue is 6 months. But the median wait time today
*of those still in the queues*[1] is 1-2 months. (which is to say, the
average wait is _not _1-2 months - but I also don't know what the
average wait is.)

* A couple of the very oldest items in queue are for Seamonkey, not
Thunderbird

* Some add-ons in queue are rather obscure (which might explain them not
getting reviewed) or cosmetic (not adding functionality)

* One is waiting for author feedback and ultimately likely to be not be
approved

* One of the oldest, textra, does seem like the last submission would be
a trivial review

It's not worth me citing the entire list.  Several of the two month old
submissions do look like potential easy reviews.  But there are also
many which aren't blocked waiting on Thunderbird reviewers or for
various reasons aren't an easy.

Also it seems to me Jorg isn't commenting about the general state of
reviews - he only stated concern about the LONGEST wait time, not the
average review rate.  People really need to be careful not to generalize
about something from a narrow example.

If further conversation is desired, this really needs feedback of
someone who better understands the review process and what's in the queues.

[1] queues: https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/reviewers/queue/new
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/reviewers/review/requestpolicy-continued