Add-on review times at ATN

Mark Rousell mark.rousell at signal100.com
Tue Mar 19 17:46:59 UTC 2019

On 19/03/2019 17:15, Onno Ekker wrote:
> I think it's bad user experience if you have an add-on that stops
> working and have to go looking for an alternative. If the add-on is
> simply a continuation (or the only continuation) of an abandoned add-on,
> the user should have an automatic update path.

Personally I'd not want to see an automatic upgrade as I think it could
be confusing to users if the author of their addon changes unexpectedly.
But I take the point about providing a smooth upgrade path when an addon
has been abandoned (leaving aside, for the moment, definitions of
"abandoned").

One way of doing this might be as follows:
(1) Allow either addon authors and/or reviewers to mark an addon as
being a possible upgrade path for one or more pre-existing addons.
(2) This information would be exposed to end users in ATO.
(3) And this information would also be exposed to users from within
Thunderbird, allowing them to select a new author's replacement addon.
If this approach was taken then clearly it would need to be decided how
and when to show this information to users.

Yes, I know that what I am proposing would need new developments with
ATO, new developments in Thunderbird, and probably (a little) more work
for reviewers. But it's an idea that could perhaps improve user
experience when it comes to the unavoidable reality of abandoned addons.

--
Mark Rousell