Home Page Lo-Fi Wireframes v2

neandr neandr at gmx.de
Tue Mar 19 11:39:47 UTC 2019

Some comments about Matt's notes ... see inline ..

Günter

Am 19.03.19 um 11:54 schrieb Matt Harris:
> <...>
>
> I would still like to see add-ons removed from the top menu and
> replaced with a general info block pointing the use to the add-on
> manager, which I am seeing as another page link lower in the wire frame.
>
> Can we also get away from the grey on grey and black on grey which are
> so difficult to read.  They look pretty,  but unless your monitor and
> graphic is really u to snuff they are not a good choice to actually read.

Addons are an essential part of the TB offering and the user should have
a short path to get to. So the [Add-Ons] button at the first line is OK.

> We need to finally remove the lightning download from the web site.
> Some Linux maintainers do not bundle it, but that is not our problem.
> WE do bundle it for all operating systems.  For Linux users that have
> issues with their distributions copies should be addressing their
> issues to the maintainers,  not having Thunderbird take the retrograde
> step to go back in time to when their maintainers are living.  Sorry
> Linux folks,  but that is one of the reasons Linux is still niche.
> Maintainers and other individuals is positions of power make appalling
> decisions and everyone just works around them. The download link needs
> to be removed and we should be encouraging folk to click yes on the
> first run install. Instead of catering to a small group of loud
> minority product users by offering a totally useless download link
> that will start an install process in the hardest possible way that is
> to install a product that more than 90% of users get with their
> install. Many users just have that install pane on the bottom of the
> windows basically for ever,  they often appear in screen shots in
> support topics.  They really have no idea what it is and ignore it as
> it does not prevent mail activities.
>
> Given the explosion of support request for folk already on the beta
> channel about their "functions" that have been removed by uncaring
> developers,  I think it is probably going to be a long haul until the
> add-on environment supports the top 20 or 30% of add-ons.  WE need to
> warn folk that those cuttong edges do in fact have blood on them and
> it is not always plain sailing.  If it was it would be a release version.

Also I don't fully understand your concerns here, what is the problem to
inform the vistor of the page to get some hints about Lightning?

Leave the section.

> I also think that if we have a prominent option for a page Language
> that will actually change the locale,  then the other discussion about
> systems and languages becomes moot.  Change the display language to
> Macedonian and you get a Macedonian download offered.  From my
> scrolling up and down and left and right,  it look to be currently way
> to the bottom and out of view on page load.  It needs to be up the top
> where it can be found as soon as the page loads in the wrong
> language.  A good place might be the space left by the add-ons link in
> the menu.
>
> This is as I understand is something of an issue for a lot of British
> expats in Spain.  They want British English Thunderbird but get
> Spanish, so there are multiple use cases where another language might
> be required.

A real good point.

Selection for the page and for the download should separated. That is
choosing the page language (manually or because of the OS or so) should
not hard set the downloaded language version.